Thursday, December 29, 2011

Flubber!

Pin It!

Photobucket

This year, for some of the older kids in our lives, we made them flubber for Christmas. You, know, the 1961 classic Absent Minded Professor and his tremendous invention? I mean, he made a car fly, people! I love that movie.

Now, I don't promise you flying cars, but I do promise at least a solid hour of play and discovery out of this recipe. And, if you read to the bottom, you'll find my discovery that is perfect for boys...

I originally stumbled upon the scientific concoction through Pinterest (if you haven't joined, you really need to get on board) to Frugal Fun Challenge's website.

I made a few alterations to that recipe, mainly halving the recipe, which made more than plenty for our needs. Here's the recipe for you!

Photobucket

1. Get 2 bowls.

2. In one bowl, mix up 3/4 cup warm water, 1 cup Elmer's glue, and food coloring (we used neon blue) real good.

3. In your second bowl, stir 1 1/2 teaspoons of Borax (found in the laundry aisle of your grocery store) and 1/2 cup warm water until Borax is dissolved.

4. Pour the Borax mix into the glue mix and knead with your hands until fully incorporated.

Watch as science flies around your kitchen! It is seriously so much fun, and weird, and easy! What more could you want?!

Like I said, we gave ours as gifts, so after enough playing, I put it into jars and made labels. What I discovered when putting them into jars is that it makes your very own fart maker! Kid you not. So, if you're looking for perfect entertainment for your tween boy, make this and stick it in a jar. Hilarious.

I digress, it makes a good gift, or party favors for a science party. Something to break away from play-doh.

Have fun!

1 comment: