Saturday, April 11, 2009

Dandyland

Pin It!



Photobucket

Spring is still a whisper here in Central Oregon but just on the other side of the mountain, the grass really is greener. I'm on a quest to learn how to forage from the land, and first on this list: dandelions, since these seemed like the easiest to identify. Yes, I'm talking about the noxious weeds that grow on your front lawn. But they are actually chock full of vitamins and minerals. They have more beta-carotene than carrots, more potassium than bananas, more iron than spinach, and tons of Vitamins A, C, E, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium. That's a-lotta goodies in one little weed! We ended up in Sweet Home, or as I like to call it, Dandyland! The meadows were everywhere with dandy's ripe for the picking. The leaves, when picked young, are supposed to be great salad greens, but I thought I'd stick with the ease of the flower. I got a few cups worth and am anxiously awaiting the first trial. There's tons of recipes I want to try, but I think the first'll be Fried Dandy's. I'll let you know how they turn out!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Christen it amazes me the thinks u think up... you have got to teach me when we move up there. I cant even keep a plant alive. And OMG I cant believe Tayden is walking now, that is awsome. Love you guys and miss you tons. By the way we are planing a trip for sometime this year to tour the state of Oregon so if you have any helpful hint please let me know!

    ReplyDelete