Monday, May 9, 2011

Menu Monday

Pin It!

Oh it's been a long time since I last posted a weekly menu, I know. But I lost inspiration. So I stopped.  Here it is again! I'm still not full of recipe inspiration but Rich and I are inspired to eat better. Have I mentioned that we found out he can't eat corn/corn products? And me with gluten. That pretty much leaves...well, close to nothing fun. Have you ever noticed how many things contain corn? I think it's used as a filler more than wheat!

So why not take advantage of that plus more produce coming into season and just eat good food? But I'd love your help. Post some links to your favorite recipes in the comment section and we can all be inspired!!

A few notes about the recipes I chose. We try to stay away from meat most days because we've found how much better we feel when not overloaded on meat, plus it makes it taste that much more amazing when you do.

We're at family's house on Tuesday and are having pizza so I planned a quick throw-together salad that I can take along for me. Some spinach. Crumbled blue cheese (my newest obsession, watch out). Halved red seedless grapes. Toasted pecans. And balsamic. Make it big enough and you'll feel stuffed.

Wednesday is our anniversary (eeps!!). Since we already had our trip away to Portland (will post that soon) we wanted to do dinner in after the kids went to bed. We're going to make veggie rolls and chocolate mochi. Both gluten free delights!

Thursday is Tayden's dinner pick day and of course, he wanted mac and cheese, so I found one with a bit of nutrients. We always use rice pasta (Trader Joe's brand is by far the cheapest I've found) and substitute non-dairy products (nut milks) where able to. But no fake cheese please!

Friday we're having friends over for some fun-do and drinks. I have a recipe I typed out for you below. If you've always wanted to throw a fondue feast, check out this fantastically fun party from Lil Hoot via Amy Atlas. Someday I'd love to do a party like this. But in the meantime, I have some fondue pots that have never been used so it's high time to break them in. I grabbed some crunchy vegan bread, asparagus, sweet potato chips, radishes, broccoli, an array of apples, and bell peppers for dipping.

For the fish tacos on Sunday, I like the mahi-mahi fillets that are already seasoned, again, from Trader Joe's. Fill a tortilla with some bar-be-qued meat, tons of spinach, julienned carrots and make a quick dressing of Vegenaise (if you've never tried, you must) and lime juice.

I hope you find a new favorite and I'll try to keep up these each week. Make sure you leave yours below!



Photobucket
m,w,th,su


Cheese Fondue
adapted from Gourmet Game Night by Cynthia Nims

3/4 cups dry white wine
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
8 ounces Swiss-type cheese, grated
4 ounces fontina cheese, grated
1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
2 teaspoons arrowroot flour
array of fruits and veggies for dipping

Combine wine and garlic in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a slow boil.
Meanwhile, combine the cheeses and flour in a bowl and toss well to evenly mix. Add the cheese mix to the wine and cook gently, stirring often, until the cheese is fully melted and smooth in texture, 3-5 minutes. Do not allow to boil.
Pour cheese mixture into a fondue pot over burning flame to stay warm. Dip. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment