Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mothers Day 2011

Pin It!

Happy Mothers Day to all you mama's out there! I hope today, as every day, you're feeling loved.
It hit me this morning as I was thinking about how this is my first mothers day with two bitty loves, that I don't need a special day to realize how blessed I am to have these two, amazing kids, in my charge to raise and nurture. Also how lucky I feel to have such an amazing man to do life with. Who spoils me every day.
But I will take the extra recognition that today has brought. I'm not one to turn down a meal I don't have to prepare and lounging around doing whatever I want.
My nice leisurely morning started with Stumptown coffee french press and breakfast bread, and homemade cards, and Tayden repeatedly saying "Happy birthday mothers day!". We then quick got ready and headed to church.
Once we got home, Rich started in the kitchen. And I started with mimosas. Take a little organic strawberry lemonade from Trader Joes. Add a little brut. Ok, a lot. Drink. Repeat. Rich made Tay a "no-mosa" so he'd have a special drink too.
The house was filled with smells of bacon. Frying. With potatoes in olive oil. Oh it is a good day.
Every cake was a devoured yet cherished, along with a dollop of apple sauce and sour cream. And the bubbles from the champagne cut through the grease from the pancakes real nice.
A quiet afternoon of napping kiddos lead into an evening of bar-b-que and of course a bit of chaos; wouldn't be normal without it! Though we ended up having a fabulous dinner and play time to round out the night.
I snuggled lots, relaxed, and just soaked in a Sunday with my family.


Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


Bacon and Chive Potato Pancakes
adapted from Epicurious
Serves 4

2 pounds peeled and coarsely grated potatoes
1/2 medium yellow onion, coarsely grated
3 strips cooked bacon
2 tablespoons chopped chives
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons bacon fat and 2 tablespoons olive oil for frying

In a large bowl, mix ingredients until well combined. Heat enough oil in frying pan to cook first batch. Form small patties with the mixture and cook 5-7 minutes per side. Serve with apple sauce and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment